Upcoming workshops in Cross-Cultural Awareness and Communication
If you support or teach international students, intercultural competence is a required skill. Learn more and avail of the opportunity to share experience with colleagues at one of ICOS's upcoming workshops in Dublin or Limerick.
There are two upcoming sessions that are open to everyone:
- Tuesday 21 May, 09:30-12:30 at Dublin Business School
- Wednesday 22 May, 09.30-12:30 at Limerick Institute of Technology
A broad range of staff in university departments who interact directly with international students, e.g. student advisers, administrators, secretaries, receptionists, housekeeping, attendants, canteen and security staff.
The session will explore aspects of cultural values and cultural differences which may affect interactions with international students and staff. The training approach is interactive and draws upon participants’ own experiences.
- Define the key terms relating to 'culture' and apply this knowledge to discuss cultural difference in a positive way
- Identify the cultural values that cause cultural differences
- Understand how awareness about other cultures and cultural differences can improve your interaction in a multicultural environment
- Understand how culture affects communication
- Identify barriers to effective cross cultural communication
- Understand the importance of verbal and non-verbal behaviour when communicating across cultures
- Use the knowledge you have acquired to further develop your cultural sensitivity.
Your trainer will be Sheila Power who is the current Director of ICOS, a position she has held for over 14 years. With a background in education and training, Sheila has a special interest in intercultural communications and has delivered many courses on this subject over the years.
Places are limited. To book your place, please visit our Eventbrite page: https://icos-culture.eventbrite.ie
ICOS provides a range of training services that can be tailored to suit different requirements. Find out more on our Training Services page.