Online Training Sessions for Staff
Here you will find details of ICOS' online training offerings for staff at Irish higher level institutions and other education institutions. We are currently developing further online sessions which we hope to launch shortly, and can also provide tailored sessions for your needs, which we would be happy to discuss with you. For bookings and queries, please email email@example.com.
In addition to our online training services, ICOS' Diverse Voices is also available free of charge for a limited time through our Member Area. Any member of staff at any of ICOS' member institutions can register to gain access to this area of the website.
Intercultural Awareness and Communication
Delivered via Zoom, this is normally a 3-hour interactive session for up to 15 attendees, but can be adapted to be an information session for larger groups. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and a quote.
*This is the reduced basic rate for institutions that are members of ICOS. The cost for non-members will be higher.
A broad range of staff in education institutions who support and interact directly with international students.
This online workshop is designed to introduce issues of cultural awareness to those who work with international students. The workshop will encourage participants to explore their own assumptions and preconceptions about other cultures, as well as creating awareness of their own cultural heritage and how it affects their world views, values and assumptions. The session also encourages participants to focus on their communication style, and how it is affected by culture, as well as the importance of non-verbal communication signals and the way these affect the communication process.
To increase cultural awareness among those working with international students and/or in an intercultural environment, and to foster better interactions and communication between staff and international students.
- Define key terms relating to 'culture' and apply this knowledge to discuss cultural difference in a positive way
- Identify the cultural values that cause cultural differences
- Understand how awareness about other cultures and cultural differences can improve interactions in a multicultural environment
- Understand how culture affects communication
- Identify barriers to effective intercultural communication
- Understand the importance of verbal and non-verbal behaviour when communicating across cultures.
Back to Online Training Sessions