Contacting the Immigration Services
In specific circumstances, you may need to write to the Irish immigration services - the Immigration Service Delivery (ISD). Residence Division Unit 1 is the specific department that looks after student queries. In this section you will find advice and tips on writing to ISD.
For general registration queries email email@example.com.
Top tips for writing to ISD
- Unit 1 is the immigration department responsible for student related issues. If you are writing to immigration you should send a letter by post as well as an email.
Residence Division (Unit 1)
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Other ISD contact details can be found here.
When writing to immigration you should start your email with:
- Your full name, as it appears in your passport
- Your registration number from your Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card
- Your current address in Ireland
After providing your basic information, describe your situation (e.g. student of a closed college) and what you are seeking (e.g. permission to enrol on another course). Be very clear by including specific details in your email and by providing scans of all documents that support your case:
- The college you most recently enrolled with and the name of the course (attach a scan of your confirmation of acceptance letter, which gives details of your study dates and states that you paid your fees in full).
- If you are proposing to switch to another college/course, give the name of the college and the course (attach an offer letter from the college to show you have a firm offer of a place).
- if you have an attendance letter, include a scan.
- With any relevant attachments, give them a suitable name, e.g. Confirmation of Enrolment Letter.pdf – not photo1.jpg or 0199322947.pdf.
- You should include attachments of everything relevant to your situation and your studies.
- Keep copies of every letter and email you send.
- When you have finished your email, give it a meaningful subject line that relates to the content of your email, e.g. Student from closed college seeking permission to join Masters programme.
Back to INFO & ADVICE