Contacting the Immigration Services

Contacting the immigration services
In specific circumstances, you may need to contact the Department of Justice (DOJ) about an immigration issue.  In this section you will find advice and tips on writing to the DOJ. 



Top tips for writing to ISD

  • Unit C is the immigration department responsible for student related immigration issues.
  • For general registration queries email
  • If you want to apply for a visa extension, you need to apply online. More information can be found here.
  • If your visa has been refused, and you are not in Ireland, you will need to contact the address in the refusal letter. Read more about visa refusals here.


Student Permission Section
Unit C – Domestic Residence and Permissions Division
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
DO2 XK70


Other ISD contact details can be found here.


When writing to immigration you should start your email with:

  • Your full name, as it appears in your passport.
  • Your current address.
  • Your email address.
  • Your registration number from your Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card or visa application number.

  • After providing your basic information, describe your situation (e.g. student on a Stamp 2 visa) and what you are requesting (e.g. a visa extension).
  • Be very clear by including specific details in your email and by providing scans of all documents that support your case.
  • If your visa application was refused, you should provide the additional details, or documentation that relates to your visa appeal. See more details here.

  • With any relevant attachments, give them a suitable name, e.g. Confirmation of Enrolment Letter.pdf.
  • You should include attachments of everything related to your situation and your studies.
  • Keep copies of every letter and email you send.

  • When you have finished your email, give it a meaningful subject line that relates to the content of your email, e.g. Student from closed college seeking permission to join Masters programme.